Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Never a small job for God

God knew David was going to be king of Israel. Even when David was forgotten by his father, despised by his brothers, and left all alone with the sheep, God had a plan for him. But it was necessary that he spent some time alone with the animals to shape his character so he could learn to trust and depend on God always. “The Lord had chosen David, and was preparing him, in his solitary life with his flocks, for the work he designed to commit to his trust in after years” (PP 637.1).

The same way, now I understand that no matter where I work, at home or abroad, God has a plan for me. Just like David with the sheep, I know God puts me in places where I can learn to trust and depend on Him so he can lead me throughout my life.

Another thing I like about David’s life as a shepherd is that there’s no such a thing as a small job. “David had proved himself brave and faithful in the humble office of a shepherd, and now God had chosen him to be captain of his people” (PP 641.1). We always have to do our best in whatever we have to do because God is always watching us. The Bible says that “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord…” (Colossians 3:23, NIV). One of my favorite quotes “I will serve Jesus while I’m waiting” (song by John Waller) exemplifies David’s spirit while working out in the hills. Even as a ‘simple shepherd boy’, he was excellent. When we do an excellent job, we are serving Jesus (we cannot say we are serving Jesus and be mediocre). God will see our small job and He will see that we are faithful in the small things, then He will trusts us with greater things (Luke 16:10, NIV).

*Inspired by Pr. Ivan Saraiva @ the church Jardin Paulista, PE, Brazil.

Read David’s story in 1 Samuel 16:1-13 and Patriarchs and Prophets (EGW) chapter 62.

No comments:

Post a Comment